It all started sometime after Christmas. Unfortunately I can't put a time or date of when this all began. We just noticed that Trey was really tired all the time. He was always cold and we would often see him wrapped up in a blanket on the couch. His skin was pale and cold to the touch. He had dark circles under his eyes. Shane and I decided to call the his pediatrician and get him checked out. So on January 5th I took him into the doctor and he did a blood test on him. With that initial test, he wanted us to go to the hospital for further blood tests. I was kind of concerned at that point, but still didn't think to much of it. Maybe we would just come home with some iron supplements or something. Trey and I went back to the doctors office after the blood tests and the pediatrician came back in and said "I have some bad news. Trey has leukemia." I can't explain how I felt at the time. Of course I started to cry and poor Trey was scared by my reaction. I regained my composure and the doctor told us the next steps to take. He didn't know what type of leukemia he had, just that he had it. He made the arrangements for us to take Trey to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. They have an excellent oncology department.
Shane and I made arrangements for the other kids to spend the night at Shane's mom's house. We drove them over there and were met by several family members. Trey wanted to have a Priesthood Blessing, so Shane's brothers and dad stood in for the blessing. With the unknown ahead of us, our emotions were tender and at the surface. I am so thankful for the priesthood and the blessings that come from them. I know it has helped Trey. We truly felt the love of our Savior.
From the time we got to the ER at Primary Children's Hospital it was a whirlwind. We were whisked back to a room in the ER and were there for several hours waiting on more blood tests. Trey was so patient and calm throughout most of this. He didn't want to be poked with any needles, but of course that didn't happen. It took three tries and an IV team to finally get a IV cath in the back of his hand. He was so scared and nervous. I am soooo proud of him and his strength. He was so brave and he still is. I have no doubt that all the prayers that have been offered in his behalf have given him this strength.
After several hours...about 11pm we were brought up to the ICS unit, which stands for the Immunocompromised Service Unit. From there Trey was hooked up to an IV and we met some nurses and oncologists. They talked with us some more about Trey's condition and gave us so much information that both Shane and I were mind boogled. Finally about 2 in the morning Shane needed to go home so he could take care of the kids. He has been amazing - getting kids off to school and running them to their basketball games etc. Trey and I settled in for our first night at the hospital. Trey was so exhausted and fell asleep pretty fast.
Shane and I made arrangements for the other kids to spend the night at Shane's mom's house. We drove them over there and were met by several family members. Trey wanted to have a Priesthood Blessing, so Shane's brothers and dad stood in for the blessing. With the unknown ahead of us, our emotions were tender and at the surface. I am so thankful for the priesthood and the blessings that come from them. I know it has helped Trey. We truly felt the love of our Savior.
From the time we got to the ER at Primary Children's Hospital it was a whirlwind. We were whisked back to a room in the ER and were there for several hours waiting on more blood tests. Trey was so patient and calm throughout most of this. He didn't want to be poked with any needles, but of course that didn't happen. It took three tries and an IV team to finally get a IV cath in the back of his hand. He was so scared and nervous. I am soooo proud of him and his strength. He was so brave and he still is. I have no doubt that all the prayers that have been offered in his behalf have given him this strength.
After several hours...about 11pm we were brought up to the ICS unit, which stands for the Immunocompromised Service Unit. From there Trey was hooked up to an IV and we met some nurses and oncologists. They talked with us some more about Trey's condition and gave us so much information that both Shane and I were mind boogled. Finally about 2 in the morning Shane needed to go home so he could take care of the kids. He has been amazing - getting kids off to school and running them to their basketball games etc. Trey and I settled in for our first night at the hospital. Trey was so exhausted and fell asleep pretty fast.
trey is amazingly strong. i know he will get better soon. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Trey,
ReplyDeleteWe wish you the best and hope you get better as soon as possible. We miss you here at Snow Springs Elementary.
Sincerely,
Ms. Compton's 5th Grade
(Katrina's class)