We got permission to go to the school so Trey could participate in the Valentines Day class party and also to bring treats for the class since his birthday is on the 15th. (there is no school on the 15th) Trey was sooo excited to see all his friends. We got there before the kids came in from recess and I could tell Trey was anxious to see everyone. Then they came in and when they saw Trey they all came up to him to give him hugs! I was not prepared for the tears that came. I felt really emotional and felt silly crying in his class. ( Don't worry I didn't blubber much :) It was just amazing to me all the love and concern the other children showed Trey. All the kids made a Happy Birthday card for Trey and Miss Mitchell had gotten him some balloons. He even went up to the front of the class as the kids sang Happy Birthday to him. I know that it seems silly to get all emotional over this, but when your child has a life-threatening illness, everything becomes a big deal.
He had a great time playing the games and being with his friends. We are hoping to be able to go back in a few weeks, this time with a Child Life Specialist from Primary Children's. Child Life is a program designed to help families with ill children cope with the illness. They have a program where a specialist will come out to the school and for about an hour teach the kids in Trey's class about what Leukemia is and answer questions they might have. I am in the process of getting approval from the school to do this. I think it is a great program and I hope we can get approval. I think it would help the other kids better understand Trey's situation and alleviate any fears or concerns they may have. Hopefully all goes well.
How great for Trey! I know the kids loved seeing him! Taylor came home with a huge smile! I asked Taylor if he had a "special visitor" at school today and his face just lit up. It was a big highlight for Taylor and the whole class. Thanks for taking that special time to be with his class and to share that moment with all of us on your blog. Wish I could've been a fly on the wall to see the happy reunion of friends! I would've joined you with the happy tears for sure ;) Take care and Happy Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteKate
Thanks so much Kate! It was fun to see Trey's friends and put names to faces. Happy Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kate, such a happy moment calls for happy tears! I'm so glad Trey was able to go to his class for a little while and be with his friends!! Thanks for sharing Beth-we love to hear about what's going on! Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special moment that had to be. And tears help. Believe me, I've shed my share as I've kept up with your posts. Thanks so much.
ReplyDeleteBTW, if Trey's school doesn't approve such a commendable program as the Child Life session, they need their heads examined. What a wonderful opportunity that would be for Trey and, especially, his classmates.
Love you, Uncle Stephen
Happy Birthday Trey! Stay strong and don't let any of those doctors or nurses of yours say anything bad about BYU. Share with them a part of the cougar nation and they will be converted. Go cougs!
ReplyDeleteThe previous comment was a Happy Birthday shout out from the Meekers. Take care!
ReplyDeleteTrey - we are all thinking about you on your birthday... what a celebration!!!! We went to the movies today to honor your birthday and saw the Percy Jackson, Lightning Theif movie... it was good but not great like the book!
ReplyDeleteNicholas was so happy to see Trey that day. He had talked about nothing else the week prior. it was a happy day!
ReplyDeleteThats so great to hear good and fun things! We love you and I'm so greatful you're my sister!
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU ALL
Kara and Family