This last week, Shane and I noticed that Trey was quite pale looking. When Trey and I saw the doctors, they said the same thing. So, it wasn't much of a surprise that his blood counts were very low. I just didn't think he would need a blood transfusion. I guess if the hematocrit (this is the amount of red blood cells in the blood) falls below 24% (normal being 35%-45%) then they want to give a blood transfusion. Trey's hematocrit count was 16%. So we got 3 units of blood. Each unit takes about an hour long to infuse. We went in at about 12:30 pm and didn't get out until after 8pm. Made for a long day! Trey also had another spinal tap. He didn't want to be put to sleep. He is getting tired of going through the procedure. And it doesn't help that he has to "fast" the whole day prior to the procedure being done. He hates not being able to eat anything. Who wouldn't. But overall he doesn't complain much and he handles everything so well.
Even though his hematocrit is low, Trey's ANC counts are high once again! We are glad about that. He can contiune to visit with friends! That is always a highlight for him. We also spoke with the school and got permission to have Child Life come to his class. I think that will be a great experience.
Overall our spirits are high and we feel so grateful to our Heavenly Father for how well Trey is doing. We just continue to embrace these good days. Thank you again for the prayers and concern we feel from each of our family and friends! Please know that our love is going out to you as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment