This is Trey "feeling good!" after coming out of the conscience sedation. He was on a happy high!Thursday was the start on the 2nd half of this phase. We were up at the hospital for just over 5 hours! When the doctor came in she started talking about all these different chemos and how I'd give Trey one of them through his port at home. I said, "hold on, back up what are you talking about!" I was under the impression that the 2nd half was going to be a repeat of the first half. Apparently not. He'll be receiving the chemo ARA-C through his port at home for 4 days and then a break and then another 4 days. The home health agency will send us all the supplies I will need to administer the chemo. They will also come every Wed to draw his blood to check his counts. He may need a transfusion sometime during this phase.
This part of the phase he had Cyclophosphamide given to him through the port (IV push given over the course of an hour). Then they did give him the 1st dose of the ARA-C at the hospital. He also had another LP with methodextrate given through the spine. A lot of chemo for one day. Oh yeah he also started 6-Thioguanine or 6-TG which are pills he'll take at home for 2 weeks. That's a load of stuff!
We tried something different when putting Trey down for the LP. Instead of going completely out-they gave him some stuff for conscience sedation. He was out but not totally. He didn't remember anything during that time. It was really weird though for me. His eyes stayed opened the whole time and they moved rapidly back and forth. Kind of unnerving. He was soooo scared because it was different from being put to sleep. He was so worried about feeling the needles. He did a great job and when he came out of it he said "I feel sooo good! When do we do it again?" He didn't remember a thing! He was so loopy and silly. He was singing songs and telling me I had two heads. I laughed so hard. Better not let him have this drug too often...he was liking it a bit to much. :) Doing it this way is actually better. Less invasive and he wasn't as sick afterwards. That's always a plus.
He's had a cough for about 2 weeks. Since his counts will be going down, we just have to be careful for the next 4 weeks. Hopefully by July 8th he will be starting maintenance. Trey has done so well and we continue to feel the tender mercies of the Lord.
You're looking good Trey! Looking Good and Doing good! Keep strong. Many many people here are pulling for you.
ReplyDeleteI Love you so much.
Aunt Kara
Please let Trey know that I miss seeing him and hope he's doing well! :)
ReplyDelete