Our smily boy

Friday, April 16, 2010

Emotional week

This week has been a rough one for Trey. The chemo treatment from Monday sure hit him hard. He's been throwing up and laying on the couch not wanting to do much. The other day he had a melt down moment. We're trying to help him understand that it's okay to be mad at cancer, to be hurt and to cry, but to also be thankful for how well he really is doing overall. I told him that there are other kids with his illness that are worse off then he is. He thought for a moment and said "there are?". We want him to walk away from this experience 3 years from now with a positive attitude and with gratitude in his heart. I know he already is a happy kid overall. We are grateful for his courageous spirit.

Today, he seems to be doing better, although he is still laying on the couch. I think his muscles have weaken, as he has a hard time walking around and just wants to lay down-not even sit on the couch. I'm worried what the last dose will do to him on Thursday.

On another sad note, our beloved lab, Taylor died last night. She had been feeling sick the last couple of days. Trey took it all in stride. I think he has been so preoccupied with his own illness, that it hasn't really hit home what has happened to Taylor. It's been a very emotional week for all of us. Our 6 year old daughter didn't take it as hard as I thought she would. I asked her if she were sad, and she said not really. Taylor is in heaven. How sweet the hearts of our little ones.

6 comments:

  1. My heart is going out to you Beth!! I don't know what else to say but that I love you and your whole amazing family!

    Trey we think you ROCK! Just keep your head up and keep thinking positive thoughts!! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth... I'm so sorry. I love you so much.
    Love Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness! What a challenging week. So sorry to hear about your beloved dog and sorry to hear about Trey's recent struggles with being sick. We are praying that the other treatments will go well and that your family's hearts will heal from this loss of Taylor, your dog. Best wishes for the upcoming week.
    Kate Bassett

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're still pulling for Trey and your family. Your family has a lot of support out there. You are giving him such great advice. Trey is blessed to have such a wonderful family supporting him at this time. We know you will make it through this Trey and continue to pray for you and your family. Take care!

    Meeker Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just want to let you both know that Sue and I are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, what a sad week! It won't take much to make the next week better, and I hope it is. Trey is so strong and probably maturing beyond his years through all this. So sad about Taylor too. We're praying for you all. Let me know if you need anything. It was good to see Skyler and Nina at the park today. They both seemed so much older to me today.

    ReplyDelete